Driving in New Zealand can be very different from conditions you may be used to back home.
The first thing you will notice is that we drive on the left hand side of the road and our main roads are not all motorways or highways. Our roads are narrow, sometimes windy and when out in the country there are still many gravel roads.
Take extreme care when driving your 4wd rental car on our roads and give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination, if feeling tired pull off the road in one of our many rest areas and take a break.
You can find more information through the New Zealand Drive Safe website here www.drivesafe.org.nz
Some Driving Tips
- Keep left at all times
- Always wear your seatbelt and ensure passengers are wearing there's
- Keep to the speed limit at all times
- Observe recommended cornering speeds
- Stay in the left lane at all times unless passing or overtaking
- Only overtake other vehicles when it is safe to do so
- NEVER cross a solid yellow line
- Drive to the conditions
- Stay well rested
- Never drink and drive
- Do not use your cell phone when driving
Other drive safe links